As a Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield member, you have coverage through the BlueCard program wherever you travel. More than 90 percent of all hospitals and physicians throughout the United States contract with Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans.
How to Use BlueCard
- Call 1-800-810-BLUE, or visit the BlueCard Doctor & Hospital Finder and enter the alpha-prefix from your ID card to locate the nearest participating doctors and hospitals. In an emergency, go directly to the nearest hospital.
- Present your ID card to the participating doctor or hospital.
- The doctor or hospital verifies your membership and submits the claim.
The doctor’s or hospital’s local Blue Plan pays the health care provider directly. You’re responsible only for your applicable deductibles, copayments, or coinsurance.
BlueCard Worldwide participating hospitals are located throughout the world. When you’re traveling or living outside the U.S. and need hospital care, your claim will be handled just like it is at home when you show your ID card at participating hospitals.
- Call 1-800-810-BLUE, or visit the BlueCard International Doctor & Hospital Finder and enter the alpha-prefix from your ID card to locate the nearest participating doctors and hospitals. In an emergency, go directly to the nearest hospital.
- Present your ID card to the participating hospital.
- Call Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield for precertification, where necessary. Refer to the phone number on your ID card.
You’re only responsible for non-covered services and your applicable deductible, copayment, and coinsurance. Wellmark will take care of the rest and send an Explanation of Benefits to your home.
For additional information on BlueCard Worldwide in English or Spanish, visit the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association site.
A guide to your destination
BlueCard Worldwide offers an online feature called My Destination Guide. This guide provides a customized, detailed health report on recommended immunizations and a summary of important health information, provider information, local emergency numbers, country overview, news highlights, maps and more.
Travel with peace of mind, knowing that more than 90% of hospitals and 80% of physicians in the U.S. contract with a Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield plan — more than any other insurer.