There are requirements that the employer is responsible for:
- A summary of benefits, which began in September 2012, should be received by each employee at the time of renewal, new hire or any changes in the health plan.
- The waiting period for a new hire cannot be greater than 90 days beginning January 1, 2014.
- Insurance companies cannot deny coverage due to pre-existing conditions.
- There is an exchange and subsidy notice to employees that must provide written notice of exchange and subsidies – proposed in fall 2013.
- FSA (flexible spending accounts) will be capped at $2,500.
- Employers are required to report the premium cost of the health insurance on the W-2s effective in the 2012 tax year.